Monday, February 18, 2008

Ben Jr.


Well, we've been keeping busy. Joey is the one getting into the most trouble now. He reminds me of all those stories I heard when Ben and I were dating about how he was always running into things and getting hurt. I guess Brigham helps him get into things too. I have to admit it is hard to watch them both constantly. Whenever I am not right with them THINGS happen. Like a few weeks ago when Joey was helping me make cookies. I had put the first batch in the oven and put dough on the second pan and then I went to the table to see what Ben was looking at on his laptop. Next thing I know Joey is crying because he burnt his hand on the oven. How he silently opened the oven is beyond me. Why was a mystery too, until he stopped crying and could tell me. We thought he grabbed a cookie off the cookie sheet because there was a blob of dough on the bottom of the oven, but there were no cookies missing off the sheet, and he burned the back of his hand, not his fingers. It turned out he had taken cookie dough off the second pan and was trying to put it on the pan in the oven, Crazy kid. I feel so bad. We did all we could to get the heat out and help it heal, but it left a scar. Ben is convinced we are the worst parents. I could not continue to function every day as a full time mom if I let it tortcher me like that. I do feel awful for him, but it is impossible to keep him from ever getting hurt. He finally understands why we don't want him to touch things that could burn him. It is part of life and learning and growing up- not that we all have to get burned.
Last Monday was another crazy day. We had just returned home from a little trip to visit Family while Ben was inTennesee at a Physical Therapy Conference, so I was very busy unpacking and trying to get laundry done. For some crazy reason I was trying to finish making Valentine cards to send to people from Joe. ( I never even sent them!) He helped me for a while, but not long enough to finish. I have a box that I keep all kinds of fun stuff in like nail polish and necklaces, trinkets and keepsakes. I knew Joey and Brigham were playing with it, but I figured it was pretty safe. I thought I smelled nail polish, but all the lids were on and I didn't see anything. Anyway, Joey came into the kitchen with a half empty bottle of body spray and I got pretty upset. The other half of the bottle was on my bedroom carpet. I soaked up what I could, but our room just smelled pretty for a while. I picked up everything and put it back in the box and put it away. Then I noticed Brigham's face. Joey said he put "makeup" on it. He had nailpolish on his right eyebrow, lid and cheek and in his hair. I can laugh now, but I was worried then about how to get it off. I did not want to get acetone in his eye. I finally decided to just leave it on because nail polish usually comes off skin on its own, and it did. I was just glad it was skin color nail polish and not red or purple or something.
Just before Ben's trip I went into the bathroom because Joey had the water running and he had a little plastic razor and was "shaving" his face, just like Daddy. He was so cute! So you see he isn't always doing things that make huge messes or hurt people.
But then last night I was checking my email when I was supposed to be watching him and I went into the bathroom to see what he was up to because he had the water running. When I came in his bottom lip was dripping with blood! That was another trumatic experience. It is really hard to stop a bleeding lip and even harder when it is the lip of a little boy who won't stop talking or crying or touching his lip. Ben was convinced again that we are horrible parents. I should have been watching him and Ben shouldn't have left his razor on the counter. Things were pretty hectic. I was trying to call a nurse. Ben was upset and trying to hold ice on Joe's lip. Joey was talking, laughing and crying. And Brigham was cring in his high chair because no one was paying attention to him. After I got off the phone we had a family prayer and everyone was calm and rational again. It took a long time, but the beeding eventually stopped. I put cornstarch on it, and that seemed to help a lot (except that Joe kept licking it off). This morning it was better and it hasn't bled all day. There are just a few tiny nicks in his bottom lip. He hasn't even mentioned it hurting at all. I am so glad he's feeling better!
One thing I am learning from all of this is if you think something bad might happen, it probaly will unless you make sure it doesn't. Well, at least with little children. I don't mean that I am becoming a pessimist, but an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, and a stitch in time saves nine, etc. One (kind of) good example is the other daywhen I had my curling iron on and I thought I had better put the cord on the counter so Brigham wouldn't pull it on himself, so I did. The reason it is only a kind of good example is I didn't put up the cord of my hair dryer and he pulled that down. At least he didn't get whacked and burned, right? My poor kids. I do not know if it is possible to look nice and have a clean house and keep your kids safe when they want to get into everything. Maybe if you have a nanny.

1 comments:

Michelle said...

Moms are amazing. I had no idea how much work it actually takes. I think everyone has moments like that... Luckily I won't have to for a little while, haha. A few months at least. Jack's still in the - eat, coo and play, then sleep mode. When he starts crawling I'll have to take your advice of making sure to prevent things.