I've been doing the Hinckley challenge since it started on February 4. It is a challenge to read The Book of Mormon in 97 days, since President Gordon B. Hinckley was 97 when he died in January. I am so glad I decided to do it! I have found time to read the scriptures when I never thought I had time before. It feels good to feast on them as you do when you are trying to keep up with the Challenge rather than just reading a chapter or so. I have really felt an increase of the Spirit in my life and my love for God and our Savior as well as my love for the scriptures and the prophets who wrote them for us has really grown. A couple of days ago I came to Jacob 5. That has always been a kind of a hurdle for me. I think in part because it is the longest chapter in the Book of Mormon and partly because it is a bit hard to follow with the Lord of the vineyard and his servant coming and going and grafting in and out branches. I decided to mark the different times He came to the vineyard to help keep it all organized. I am afraid it still took me more than one day to read it all, but I really felt I understood Jacob's reason for writing it better. When I was reading Jacob 6 his words really touched me when he encouraged us to repent and cleave unto God- "Yea, TODAY." He loved the parable because it shows so plainly God's love for us. He speaks of God's mercy in remembering both the roots and the branches of the House of Israel. He points out how dilligently and lovingly the Lord has nourished us with the good word and how we should repent and bring forth good fruit and not cause the Lord sorrow. My favorite is verse 12: "O be wise; what can I say more?"
Merry Christmas 2025!
7 months ago



1 comments:
Thats wonderful Melissa! I am doing it too and have to agree. I thought it would be really hard to find the time, but it's very rewarding. Sadly I fell 100 pages behind, lol. But just in 2 days it's now only 65, so there's still hope I won't have to pull an all nighter in May. :)
Post a Comment